IFS Provides McDermott International With the Instrument & Utility Air Package
November 18, 2017 Welcome
IFS provides McDermott International (MDR) with the design, materials, fabrication, testing, and inspection of the Instrument & Utility Air Package for the British Petroleum (BP) Angelin Development Project. The project involves the development of a six-slot wellhead platform which is Normally Unmanned Installation (NUI) in Angelin area located approximately 25 miles (40 km) off the east coast of Trinidad in 213 feet (65m) water depth.
The package included (2) Atlas Copco Compressors, Parker twin tower dryers, particulate filters & interconnecting piping. This package became critical when Atlas Copco was unable to deliver a customized compressor package within budget & schedule to met the stringent BP/MDR Specifications. IFS incorporated standard “off the shelf” AC compressors into the Instrument & Utility Air Package, modifying & replacing components to meet the MDR/BP stringent specifications. IFS modifications included:
- Replacing standard IEC motors with IEEE 841 Motors rated for Class 1, Division 2
- Fabricating a custom adapter flange to mount the IEEE841 motor face to the IEC compressor face
- Installing custom Compressor Controls upgraded from the Atlas Copco Elektronikon to an Allen Bradley Compact Logic programmable logic controller and Panel View Plus Human Machine Interface (HMI).
- Creating/installing a customized PLC program to operate the compressor package
- Replacing all Instruments with Class 1 Division 1 rated Instruments
- Blasting/painting to the required offshore coating system for increased corrosion protection
- Replacing all standard nylon tubing with duplex stainless steel tubing
The Angelin project is a dry gas development in 213 ft (65 m) of water in the northern Columbus basin. Produced gas (up to 600 MMcf/d) will be exported to the Beachfield/Atlantic LNG center and the liquids to the Galeota terminal.”